NAMI Rensselaer Family to Family programs are always FREE.
Donations are welcome but our priority is helping others so
they do not go through some of the problems that we have.
NAMI Family-to-Family is an educational course for family, caregivers and friends of individuals living with mental illness.
What You Should Expect
- Meets for 12 session, 2.5 hours each, free of cost.
- Designed for loved ones (over age 18) of individuals living with mental illness.
- Taught by trained family members of individuals living with mental illness.
- Provides critical information and strategies related to caregiving.
- Incorporates presentations, discussion and exercises.
- Designated an Evidence Based Practice in 2013 by SAMHSA.
Why You Should Attend
A toolkit of information
- Up-to-date information about a range of mental illnesses, including co-occurring mental illnesses and substance use disorders.
- Impact of mental illness on the brain.
- Current research on treatments including medication, side effects and evidence-based therapies.
Training in preparedness and emotional resiliency
- Skills related to managing crises, solving problems and communicating effectively.
- Strategies for self-care including management of stress and emotional overload.
- Guidance on locating appropriate local supports and services.
Perhaps most importantly, as a participant you can gain comfort in knowing you are not alone. Recovery is a journey and there is hope for all families and individuals dealing with a mental illness. The in-person group experience of NAMI Family-to-Family provides the opportunity for mutual support and positive impact. You can experience compassion and reinforcement from people who relate to your experiences. Through your participation, you have the opportunity to help others grow.
What Others Have To Say About NAMI Family-to-Family
“Before I took the course, I felt alone and overwhelmed dealing with my daughter’s mental illness. By taking this course, I have met others who are going through the same things I am and have learned about many resources that I never knew existed.”
“I thought my wife and I knew just about everything there is to know about the system and the illness. Boy, were we wrong. Without a doubt, this is the best support course I have had the privilege of taking part in, bar none.”
Find a Class
- Contact NAMI Rensselaer County at 518-588-6949 or email at NAMIrensco@gmail.com