This is a free presentation of NAMI Rensselaer
NAMI In Our Own Voice (IOOV) unmasks mental illness, using speaker stories to illustrate the individual realities of living with mental illness. You gain a better understanding of what it is like to live with mental illness and stay in recovery. NAMI In Our Own Voice can change attitudes, preconceived notions and stereotypes regarding mental illness.
What You Should Expect
- The In Our Own Voice program and its impact on participant’s lives… in their own voice.
- Sixty to 90 minutes long, open to the general public, free of charge.
- Led by a team of two trained presenters who are living in recovery from mental illness.
- Includes stories, videos and discussion.
Why You Should Attend
- More accurate view of a stigmatized and misunderstood experience.
- Humanized perception of what people living with mental illness are like.
- Concrete examples of what living in recovery means.
- Opportunity to ask questions in a safe and friendly environment.
Whether you have contact with mental illness in a professional capacity or want to learn more on a personal level, your interest and questions are welcome. Your participation also provides a valuable opportunity to the speakers; an opportunity to gain confidence as they share their experience of recovery and transformation.
What Others Say About IOOV
“Amazing presentation with amazing presenters!!! Thank you for taking time out of your day to educate us – so helpful and informative. You 100 percent erased any stigma I used to associate with mental illness.” – Audience member
“Several of the mental health staff stated that they saw recovery as a real option for the first time ever [after seeing the presentation].” – Audience member
“Participating in the IOOV program is the single most effective thing I am doing to maintain my mental health. Time after time I see the audience respond with curiosity and interest. I know I am changing the face of mental illness and that I have transformed my pain into the power to make a difference.” – IOOV presenter
To Find or Request a Presentation
Contact NAMI Rensselaer County at 518-588-6949 or email NAMIrensco@gmail.com